Its been about 23 hours since the iPhone 6 showed up.
- TouchID is freaking amazing.
- The migration of the Sleep button to the right side of the phone is very welcome
- Reachability might be a hack, but it works damn well.
- The screen looks far better (to my eyes) than my iPhone 5’s screen
- The screen is so damned big
- the damned big screen makes for a bigger keyboard, which makes my fat thumbs happy.
- I don’t think it will get thinner than this without ditching the headphone jack
- The slimness is astounding, even if part of it is perception due to the rounded edges
- The rounded edges are so much better than the hard lines of the 4 & 5 series
- I would gladly take a phone that’s 50-200% thicker for the corresponding leap in battery life it would provide
Side note: Display Zoom is one of the unheralded features that deserves more attention. For users with “older eyes” like my parents for instance, this will make the 6’s bigger screen worth every penny spent over the cost of a cheaper 5S or 5C. I can only imagine what such a mode will look like on the 6 Plus…
Extensions already are huge:
- The ability to fill passwords in Safari using 1Password
- The Yahoo Weather section in Notification Center
- Sharing to Tumblr from anywhere
- Sharing to DayOne from anywhere
I’ve tried three major third party keyboards thus far (Swype, SwiftKey, and Flesky), and none of them I can get comfortable with. All of them make changing back to the iOS keyboard a pain in the ass, which makes having them turned on to play with more of a hinderance than they are worth to me.
And I can’t even fathom what else is going to be possible going forward.